Effects of stress on male potency
A severe emotional shock causes a number of psychological and organic prerequisites for reducing potency. Under the influence of constant stress, a man can completely lose his adequate erection.
Organic consequences of stress
Severe stress can cause the following undesirable changes:
- disorder of natural biochemical processes, dystrophic changes in internal organs and tissues;
- suppression of the nervous system, delayed response to irritant factors;
- a sharp increase in glucocorticoids and a decrease in leukocytes in the blood, a decrease in the activity of the immune system, an increased risk of contracting infectious diseases or malignant cell damage;
- strain of muscle tissue, destruction of cells due to excessive amounts of toxins, violation of oxygen metabolism, suspension of nutritional processes in tissues;
- the expansion of capillaries and the diameter of the vascular walls, slowing the outflow of lymph, accumulation of proteins in the intercellular space;
- increased blood pressure, oxygen starvation of the brain, malnutrition of brain cells;
- a serious strain on the heart muscle, acceleration of the heart rate, increased risk of developing ischemic stroke or myocardial infarction.
Psychological consequences of stress
The impact of a stressful situation causes a negative impact on the mental state of the patient:
- constant anxiety and dissatisfaction with the quality of life, social status and employment, the situation in the family, the relationship with loved ones;
- change in habitual behavior stereotypes and distorted perception of reality;
- aggressiveness and nervousness, irritability and intolerance to others;
- bouts of unreasonable uncontrollable anger;
- decrease in efficiency, concentration, memory and attention;
- uncontrollable emotions and severe depressive manifestations;
- lack of desire to engage in any activity;
- a sharp decrease in sexual desire and strength of erection;
- the abuse of antidepressants and alcoholic beverages, the use of narcotic drugs in order to cloud the mind and get away from real perception.
Condition of the reproductive system after stress
A man who remains in an unusual stressful situation for a long time will experience a decrease in sexual desire and a temporary loss of erectile function. In some cases, there is a lack of orgasm and ejaculation during sexual intercourse.
Cortical impotence with a decrease in sexual desire for the sexual partner manifests with varying degrees of intensity. Some men completely lose the desire to have sex and lose sensitivity to sexual stimulation. The excitability of the reproductive system decreases.
The onset of a depressed state due to the experienced stress leads to a pathological inhibition of cortical sexual superstructures. The condition can be complicated:
- signs of neurasthenia or obsessive fears;
- toxic effects of tobacco and alcohol, poisons and drugs, strong sedative medications;
- disorders of sexual behavior and pathological reflex actions (premature ejaculation);
- metabolic pathologies (diabetes, excess weight);
- chronic infectious diseases (venereal diseases, tuberculosis).
Deceleration of the erection function
The inability to achieve a full erection and perform sexual intercourse is also a common consequence of the stress condition. Usually, the complete or partial impotence is associated with the emerging psychological block.
If a person does not associate life circumstances with traumatic psycho-emotional experiences, he acquires the ability to experience a normal erection, which ends with ejaculation and orgasm. Often, men with sexual dysfunction retain the possibility of spontaneous night erections that occur during a period of reduced self-control.
Violation of mental health in the form of depression is characterized by a decrease in mood and self-esteem, a pessimistic outlook on life. A patient suffering from a depressive lesion is inclined to make attempts to normalize his state of health with the help of alcoholic beverages and narcotic drugs, which aggravate his condition.
Canadian Neighbor Pharmacy lists the common causes of the pathological state of the psyche:
- asthenic neurosis;
- neurotic conflicts;
- stressful situations;
- emotional turmoil.
Depression significantly reduces the libido and erectile capabilities of men. To restore sexual potency, the help of a urologist and a psychotherapist is required.
Signs of a depressive disorder
The diagnosis confirming depression can be made only if the depressed state lasts more than 2 weeks and is accompanied by the following characteristic symptoms:
- reduced depressive mood, which does not leave the patient for most of the day;
- disinterest in the surrounding reality, loss of the ability to have fun;
- suicidal tendencies;
- increased fatigue, weakness and retardation, slow reaction;
- impairment of concentration;
- obsessions of self-deprecation and guilt;
- decreased appetite and a sharp decrease in body weight.
The patient in a state of depression feels constant psychological stress, there is an unintentional motor anxiety. Patients are inclined to demonstrate aggressive behavior or fall into apathy, experience inner emptiness, indifference to events, lose any motivation for activity.
A painful condition is often accompanied by nihilistic delusions, self-condemnation and fear of persecution.
Complications of depression
In the medical history of the disease, there are painful symptoms affecting the somatic sphere. The condition is significantly complicated by signs of various functional disorders (sleep disturbance, weakness and fatigue, increased anxiety and decreased sexual desire, lack of appetite and weight loss). Severe depressive disorders cause such psychosomatic disorders as:
- cardiovascular pathology (pressing pain in the sternum, increased pulse, hypertension and attacks of angina);
- damage to the respiratory system (dyspnea);
- endocrine diseases (dysfunction of the testicles and pituitary gland, adrenal and thyroid gland);
- pathological changes of a neurotic character (parkinsonism, multiple sclerosis, excessive anxiety and excitability, emotional instability);
- disorders of the digestive tract (nausea and vomiting, pain in the abdomen, colitis and gastritis).
Effect of depression on sexual activity
Depression is a typical negative factor, which causes a decrease in sexual desire and loss of ability to commit sexual intercourse. The patient ceases to feel a natural sex drive.
The condition can worsen under the influence of congenital pathologies, peculiarities of upbringing and chronic functional disorders of health. Significant role in the formation of psychogenic erectile dysfunction is played by the use of sedative medications and antidepressants, potent psychotropic substances, alcoholic beverages and narcotic drugs.
With sexual disorders caused by a depressed, moderate form, the erectile function is not completely lost. So, the patient retains the ability to experience a spontaneous erection. The state of sexual arousal usually comes in the evening or in the morning, when the inhibitory effect of the cerebral cortex on sexual centers is weakened.
How to prevent depression?
To prevent mental disorders and restore men’s well-being, patients should:
- adhere to the rules of a healthy lifestyle;
- control physical and emotional stress, get a proper rest;
- discuss their psychological problems with relatives, if necessary, seek professional help;
- take medication only as directed by a doctor (including drugs for erectile dysfunction from Canadian Neighbor Pharmacy – Viagra, Cialis, Levitra).